Thursday, June 15, 2017

Songs reflect the times

I LOVE love songs. I listen to them whenever I can, but
especially when driving for hours in my out-of-town trips. Of course,
they make me feel good and the driving less tiring.

            If my skills are up to it, I sing along with my heart,
adapting their passion but converting their lyrics, with proper
modifications, of course, into a heartfelt prayer. Thus, if nothing
else happened on the road, I usually arrive at my destination still
looking good and feeling fresh and inspired.

            These days, however, I feel the need to be very restrained
in this pastime. Most of the songs I hear now, all minted in recent
years and surprisingly rating high in the charts in the so-called
developed countries, have lyrics that give me some discomfort. They
often speak of anguish, frustration, depression, of a lover spurned, a
person misunderstood and despised, etc.

            Many cuss words enter into these songs. Sexual references
too. The sentiments projected are mainly the casual, highly transitory
and inconsequential ones. The love expressed seems not to be based any
deeper than the passing instincts and passions.

            They give the impression that they are stuck in some mud
of emptiness to which they react either by wailing, lamenting and
complaining, or by some naughty if not wild and violent expressions.


            Th melody itself has become a monotonous repetition of
notes that give one the feeling that the singer is trapped in some
predicament from which he can hardly escape. It’s a repetition of
boredoem and angst, not the one usually associated with being in love.



            What is happening, I often find myself asking. Is this
just a generational thing with me, or is there something objective? I
believe that there is certainly something generational and subjective
in this issue, but I also believe that there is something objective
going on these days about which we have to be alerted.



            I believe songs reflect the temper of the times. They
somehow express the status of the culture of the people at a given
time. My suspicion is that these songs are only the product of the
years of permissiveness, secularism, unhinged liberalism that have
been fiercely afflicting many Western countries.



            These cultural viruses have a way of confining us into our
purely subjective ways. They can give us the sweet sensation of
floating freely in a sea of relativism without any absolute moorings.
God is discarded even as we make ourselves our own god. We bury
religion and unwittingly make our own version of it with us as the
main deity.



            Especially when we happen to be quite talented and
brilliant, with many ideas, initiatives, discoveries and inventions to
prop our ego, we can think that we can just depend entirely on our own
powers and throw God into the dustbin of ancient history.



            We fail to realize that no matter how gifted we are,
without God, those gifts which actually are God-given, not only have
their limitations that sooner or later we will experience, but also
will pose as a mortal danger to us.



            Many modern “love” songs, I believe, are mere symptoms of
a much graver crisis taking place in the world today.

-->

No comments: