Friday, July 19, 2019

Train to be spiritual warriors


GIVEN our objective dignity as children of God and our
current human condition that will always be hounded by our own
weaknesses, the temptations in the world and by the devil, we should
train ourselves to be spiritual warriors who know how to wage a
lifelong war of love and peace against the enemies of God and of our
soul.
  
            Yes, our life will always involve some fighting, some
struggling. But let’s always remember that we have a Father who takes
care of everything. He assures us that everything will just be all
right even if we commit some mistakes as long as we are with him or we
go back to him after we fall. He will always welcome us with open
arms.
   
            We should not worry too much over the erratic condition of
our life in this world. While God assures us of his love and mercy, he
does not exempt us from having to fight against his enemies and those
of our soul, because our life here on earth is still the time of God’s
creation and redemption of us. There will always be trials and
temptations to contend with.
  
            We have to learn to always choose God over anything else,
knowing that with him everything else that we need will be taken care
of. We just have to learn the art of fighting, of smelling dangers
even from afar, of protecting and defending ourselves from temptations
and the consequences of sin.
  
            We have to hone our combat skills, knowing how to say no
to temptations and how to conquer more areas of love for God and for
others. Usually the fighting is done in little things, and if we are
faithful in these little skirmishes, then we would be ready when the
big battles come along.
  
            We cannot deny that in our life we have to face many
challenges and some of them can be very difficult, if not impossible
and insurmountable, ones. I always remember what St. Paul once said
regarding this point:
   
            “I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do
not do, but what I hate to do,” he said. (Rom 7,15) “I have the desire
to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the
good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on
doing,” he continued. (18-19)
  
            And he explained why this is so. “As it is, it is no
longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that
good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature…Now if
I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is
sin living in me that does it.”
   
            We should not be surprised anymore by this phenomenon. We
just have to accept it and learn to deal with it as best that we can.
That is what matters. And what we cannot accomplish despite our best
efforts, Christ will take care of it.
  
            Christ has assured us of his mercy. “In this world you
will have trouble,” he said. “But take heart! I have overcome the
world.” (Jn 16,33) And thus, while we have to continually wage war
against our real enemies, we can still manage us to have peace of mind
and even joy.
  
            Of course, this assurance of Christ should not lead us to
lower our guards or to soften our desire to progress in our love and
in our spiritual life. Rather, it should spur us to sharpen our desire
to make war with our real enemies, since we are assured of victory.
  
            Yes, we can manage to be spiritual warriors but always
looking good and even elegant!


No comments: