Friday, April 6, 2018

Liberal or conservative?


SOMETIMES some people ask me if I am liberal-minded or a
conservative. My standard answer has always been that I’m neither of
them, but I can also be both of them.

             To clarify, I tell them that I just follow what my
Christian faith tells me. Thing is both the liberals and the
conservatives do not uphold the faith all the time, and so I can be
neither of them. But it is also possible that both can coincide with
at least a part or some aspects of the Christian faith, and so I can
be both of them.
  
            In short, depending on how they relate themselves to the
Christian faith, I am neither of them or both of them.
  
            This categorization of liberals and conservatives is
obviously a by-product of partisan politics. The lines between them
are not very clearly and sharply drawn. They definitely are not
mutually exclusive. But more or less, we know what is to be liberal
and what is to be conservative.
  
            Given that, I normally excuse myself from considering
myself as one of them. That’s simply because there are a lot of
opinion-making involved, and I as a priest have learned to respect
these opinions, even if I do not agree with some of them. I believe it
is always good to be open-minded, even if there are disagreements. The
other side will always have some valid points, albeit improperly
valued.

             It may also happen that due to partisan differences,
truths of faith and not anymore opinions are involved. In these cases,
I try to proclaim the truth of faith involved, clarify and explain it
without getting into partisan arguments.
  
            If my explanations are accepted, good and I thank God. If
not, I just wait, pray and be patient. I believe that is the human and
Christian way to react. Regardless of how things go, charity should
always prevail.
   
            I firmly believe that it is Christian faith that can
enable us to assess the issues properly. After all, it is where our
faith is that holds for us the ultimate source of truth and justice
and that gives us the global picture of things. And I put my faith in
God, in Christ, in the Church, and not in myself alone, nor in the
many consensus that we as a people make.

             Of course, this faith has to be a living faith, not just a
theoretical faith based solely on articulated doctrine. It should be a
faith that is vitally in touch with reality, with the things on the
ground without losing its footing in heaven.
  
            In this way, it is a faith that can properly identify the
lights and shadows, the accents and nuances of our times, and know how
to judge and react to them. It is a faith that is both a result of
prayer and contemplation of the truths taught by Christ and now by the
Church as well as direct observation of the things involved in a
particular issue.

             It’s a faith that is doctrinal but not a doctrinaire, and
that is both in heaven and on earth. We need to see to it that we have
such faith, otherwise we will simply fall into some kind of dogfight
that in the end is unnecessary.
  
            It’s a faith that can handle and is respectful of the
differences of valid opinions and preferences of people. It’s a faith
that always goes together with hope and charity, and as such knows how
to be patient and optimistic, as well as how to be delicate,
understanding and merciful with everyone.

             It’s a faith that possesses the characteristic of charity
as explained by St. Paul: “It is not arrogant or rude, does not insist
on its own way, is not irritable or resentful, does not rejoice at
wrong, but rejoices in the right.” (1 Cor 13, 5-6)


No comments: