Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Performer, actor, minister

THE other day, I was invited by some seminarians—all
friends and even directees of mine—to watch their play which was the
product of one of their classes. It was produced, directed and cast by
their very own selves. It was also meant to be a tribute to one of
their teachers who was leaving for further studies abroad.

            The play was the musical “Mamma Mia,” which I have heard
about sometime ago but never bothered to know more about, since I am
not a movie or theater person. And so I was in for a big surprise.

            As I was ushered to the venue, I noticed that most of the
characters of the play were women and that these would be played by
the seminarians themselves. I started to get anxious.

            As I entered the hall, I noticed that the stage was well
set, the lighting and sound systems and other technical items were
perfect or near perfect. At the back of my mind, I was happy to note
that these young boys could already mount such a wonderful production.

            But I must confess that I felt uncomfortable at the
beginning of the show as I saw familiar faces dressed and outrageously
made up like women. Some looked funny, but others, I must say, merited
a second look. Even their legs looked smooth and shapely. I usually do
not look at these details, but on this occasion, I made an exception.

            As the play unfolded, the uneasy feeling readily gave way
to amusement and sheer enjoyment as I saw the versatility of these
boys whom I know to be truly boys. They were both funny and convincing
enough in their acting. Their mimickry did not raise suspicions. It
did not harm their masculine identity. I am sure, their teacher would
give them a good grade.

            On my way out, I congratulated the cast who showed some
amused embarrassment for their production, but I reassured them that I
was very happy with it. I encouraged them to do more staging of their
production.

            But I also gave them a little lecture about the difference
between a performer, an actor, and a minister which I hope all of them
will come to be someday.

            A performer, I told them, has as his immediate and main
purpose, to entertain the audience in a direct and sensible or
tangible way. He is usually a clown, an emcee, a juggler, a singer and
a dancer. Special talents and training are clearly needed here. His
job is as honorable as any other honest work. And if done with love
for God and for others, it is a sure path to heaven.

            An actor is not as much interested in entertaining their
audience as in entering into the persona of the character he is
supposed to play. He thinks more of the scene and of how he relates
himself to the role than of how the audience would react to his
performance. This category involves more thinking and emoting. But it
would be unfair to compare an actor with a performer, and vice-versa.
Each one has his place in the sun.

            Now, a minister is a different category altogether. He may
have and use some elements of a performer and an actor, but he is
definitely different from them. A minister—I am referring more to
deacons, priests, bishops, Popes—has, first of all, a different
identity. He is not just so and so. He is another Christ, conformed to
Christ as head of the Church in varying degrees.

            In other words, he is not just performing for an audience
or acting out a role. He works in the person of Christ and with the
authority of Christ as head of the Church. This happens in the most
eminent way when he celebrates the Holy Mass. But this can happen
anytime of his life, including while he is doing sports or resting,
but especially when he is administering the sacraments, preaching and
giving spiritual direction to the people.

            I told my seminarian-friends that they can try to be the
best of performers and the best of actors, but they should not confuse
the category of a minister with those of the performers and actors.
The latter depend more on one's talents and aptitude, the former is
first of all a gift from God.

            Because of this difference, the minister has a
self-awareness, attitude, outlook, lifestyle, training, etc.,
different from those of a performer and a minister. But all have
honorable responsibilities that can serve both God and others.


No comments: