Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Overcoming the 'tambay' lifestyle

IT'S all understandable, of course. Young people like to enjoy life. I
was also like them when I was at their age. Even if they carry some
heavy personal or family problems, they like to have fun every time
they have the chance.

Outside of my chaplain's office, I see young students, all boys,
sitting on the floor, invariably engaged in what I consider as
mindless chatter, pulling each other's leg, laughing or simply idling
away time, with looks that can only show purposelessness. I call this
the 'tambay' lifestyle, very common in many places.

I presume it's their break time, and you just have to let them be.
Like little children, they should not be over-supervised. Their
classes would take care of that, since discipline and meeting the
academic requirements would always be the order of the day there.

And yet, at the back of my mind, I worry that if they are not properly
attended to, this 'tambay' lifestyle would harden and become the
permanent feature of their character. When I was at their age, I
already worried about how to fill up my time more fruitfully and
meaningfully. I exerted some effort, though I must confess that the
motivation was not quite right. Self-interest fueled most of that
effort.

It was only later in life that I discovered the proper motivation for
working or studying or simply filling time. Only God, the love for him
and for neighbor, can be the appropriate motive. But how can you
transmit this truth to these young ones?

I remember that in my case, I had a regular chat with a priest who
taught me many things. I first went to see him because I had a problem
with my philosophy classes in school. He was very helpful in
clarifying my doubts and answering my questions.

But besides those, he taught me how to pray, to study the doctrine of
the faith more deeply, to appreciate the value of sacrifice, the
sacraments, the virtues, etc. What I learned was that I can only study
and work properly if the motivation is precisely the love of God and
neighbor.

That was when I could always find something to do, and I pressured
myself to fight against my laziness, excessive love for comfort and
pleasures, etc. I learned the importance of time—that it is the
occasion for us to attain the ultimate purpose of our life. I realized
it was a crime to waste time.

It was not easy. And even until now, I sometimes have to exert some
extraordinary effort to do things properly and to fill up my time. All
of us have to contend with our weaknesses and the many temptations
around. One has to wage a constant struggle to be able to use time
properly.

But how can I transmit these precious lessons to the young ones? Yes,
as chaplain, I say Mass for them everyday. There I can say something
in this regard during the homilies. But that would not be enough. I
also give some talks and classes, conduct retreats and recollections,
but then the effects and results are long in coming. These need a more
personalized and abiding attention.

It's good that many of the students come for a personal chat with me.
There I get to know them more closely and have the chance to encourage
them. They need a lot of clarification and motivation.

Trying to explain what loving God and others is, what it involves and
how it impacts on our use of time is not easy, especially when it has
to touch on an essential part of it, which is suffering and the need
for the cross. Christian charity has endless facets and practical
implications.

We have instituted a mentoring system so that each student is followed
up closely. And obviously, the task of monitoring the developments of
this system can be demanding. I am more and more convinced that more
than anything else, what are needed to keep things going are the
spiritual and supernatural means.

Without these means and when we rely only our human resources and
natural powers, we can only achieve so much. Worse, we can be deluded
into thinking that we are doing right, when in fact we would be doing
wrong.

I hope and pray that while the general character of the young—their
attitude to take things easy and to have fun—should be respected, the
seed of a more responsible use of their time, talents and other
resources would be sown, take root and start to grow.


No comments: