Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Never take God for granted


THIS is our usual problem. We take God for granted many,
many times. Even when he is always around, we manage to ignore him and
even to go against him. We have to overcome this problem.

            Let’s remember that time when Christ returned to his
hometown and started teaching in the synagogue, and his people could
not believe that one of them was a “big guy.” (cfr. Mt 13,54-56)

            That kind of reaction can very well describe our attitude
toward God in general. Even if we as a people are Christian believers,
many of us do not realize that God continues to be with us. He is
actually inside and outside us. He is all around.

            A beautiful psalm describes the omnipresence of God. It
may be worthwhile to put it here, at least, in part, so that we become
familiar with this phenomenon and start to correspond to it properly.

            It’s in Psalm 139 where it says: “You have searched me,
Lord / and you know me. / You know when I sit and when I rise; / you
perceive my thoughts from afar. / You discern my going out and my
lying down; / you are familiar with all my ways. / Before a word is on
my tongue / you, Lord, know it completely. / You hem me in behind and
before, / and you lay your hand upon me. /

            “Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, / too lofty for
me to attain. / Where can I go from your Spirit? / Where can I flee
from your presence? / If I go up to the heavens, you are there; / if I
make my bed in the depths, you are there. / If I rise on the wings of
the dawn, / if I settle on the far side of the sea, / even there your
hand will guide me, / your right hand will hold me fast. /

            “If I say, ‘Surely the darkness will hide me / and the
light become night around me,’ / even the darkness will not be dark to
you; / the night will shine like the day, / for darkness is as light
to you...”

            I remember Opus Dei Founder St. Josemaria Escriva saying
something similar. “There is something holy,” he said, “something
divine hidden in the most ordinary situations, and it is up to each
one of you to discover it.”

            Yes, what we have to do is to cultivate the skill of being
aware of God’s presence all the time and in everything. It’s a matter
of honing our contemplative dispositions and skills, which means that
we should not just be contented at looking at things in their
externals and neither in their internals. We have to go beyond and see
the presence of God at the core of everything that exists.

            Let’s remember that God as Creator can never be absent
from his creatures, because as Creator he is the giver as well as the
maintainer of a creature’s very existence. Take him out, and that
creature reverts to nothing.

            That is why God is in control of everything. He may allow
us to act freely such that we can go against him, but he is still on
top of us. Our freedom cannot remove him from us. We just have to
realize that our freedom is properly exercised when done to give glory
to God. That’s what our freedom is actually for.

            We have to sharpen our contemplative skills even in our
most mundane affairs. So everyday, let us find ways of how this can
happen. It is the most worthwhile activity we can do. For what does it
profit a man if he gains the whole world, but loses his soul by
missing God in his life?



No comments: