Sunday, March 4, 2018

Solving puzzles


SOMEONE gifted me with some boxes of puzzles the other
day. I thanked him profusely, of course. But I immediately turned
those puzzles over to the school where I work, because I feel the
students would need and enjoy them more than I would.
  
            Truth is I have more than enough puzzles to solve
everyday. Just figuring out what to say in the homily for my daily
Masses is already one, and a big one at that. What to advise a
penitent in confession, how to motivate a student with flagging
spirit, how to help the many beggars I meet everyday in the streets,
are some of the puzzles I have to solve.
  
            And there are a lot more. There are daily challenges to
face, trials to cope with, mysteries to fathom, surprises and other
unexpected things, sometimes unpleasant ones, to tackle, etc. Of
course, from time to time, as a form of rest and recreation I play
games and I’m already happy with a few minutes with the Sudoku. That
would already refresh my mind.
  
            I suppose we just have to be game again when these puzzles
come. I have learned to look at them as God’s way to make my life
exciting and adventurous, drawing from me some creative juices.
Sometimes I feel that God is playing games with me, just to humor me.
  
            Thus, I was happy to discover in the Book of Proverbs a
passage that says that Wisdom, the Old Testament allusion to Christ,
enjoys, laughs and plays with the people of the world. “He rejoiced in
his whole world,” it says, “and delights in mankind.” (8,31)
   
            At first, as a young boy, I would be easily and badly
affected by life’s puzzles, distressed and pained as I felt I was
confused and getting lost. It was only sometime later that I
discovered there was no point to react and to feel that way. I
realized that feeling worried over them did not help any, but would
rather just make things worse. That’s thanks to my spiritual adviser
who showed me the light.
  
            So, I suppose, we just have to play along, doing the best
that we can give, though it’s clear that many times, our best would
still not be enough and would still be made a lot better. So we should
just be game with the whole thing.
  
            Besides, Christ told us clearly: “Do not be anxious about
tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day’s own
trouble be sufficient for the day.” (Mt 6,34) What a relief to hear
those words!
  
            Of course, a certain toughness is needed here also, a
toughness that is compatible with flexibility and adaptability, a
toughness that does not make us lose our human tenderness. We should
still manage to smile, to be light-hearted, positive and optimistic in
outlook and behaviour.
  
            This, of course, will require struggle and continuing
practice. We have to learn to be humble so as to be open to the twists
and turns of the many puzzles in our life and still able to hold on to
our faith and trust in God’s merciful providence.
   
            We should expect to get dirty sometimes, to suffer cuts
and bruises as we play with life’s puzzles. But as long as we keep our
union with God, at least in intention, God will always be on our side.
  
            We have been reassured of this in the psalms. “This I
know, that God is on my side.” (56,9) And, “With God on our side will
win. He will defeat our enemies.” (108,13)


No comments: