Friday, August 8, 2014

Stirrings from the past

PEOPLE nowadays, especially the young ones, would refer to
it as a blast from the past. But I would not go that far. My recent
visit to a southern town in Cebu simply made some stirrings, at once
gentle and sweet, that just the same left me completely thankful.

            The other day, I went to see a friend-priest who was just
reassigned some days ago to Argao, some 68 kilometers south of Cebu
City, and I felt like I stepped into the past, into things
foundational and rudimentary. Already used to the blare and glare of
the big city, I was pleasantly surprised to have a feel again of what
it was when I was kid.

            The visit reminded me of my roots, of what I consider as
my basic cultural and social beginnings, my primal identity that since
then has acquired layers upon layers of conditionings. I immediately
felt some sense of nostalgia crawling slowly, leisurely, into my mind
and heart.

            I am happy to say that such roots and beginnings, while
provincial and parochial in character, was open enough to accept
further and even foreign influences. I believe that my own experiences
and my own life itself, as it is so far, can attest to the veracity of
this affirmation.

            What I felt in Argao was a certain air of pristineness
that certainly is not close-minded and rigid. There were also signs of
modernity and contemporaneity. In other words, it is also flowing with
the times, but at its own pace. It’s not stuck in the past, and much
less is it inert and dead. It has a life that glows with a certain
charm and aura.

            I took lunch in a little restaurant, with very simple
furnishings but with splendid yet cheap food. It was clean, and the
servers were so simple in their ways that they had no qualms in
starting a conversation with me who must have been a complete stranger
to them. I felt immediately at home.

            I then visited the church. It’s old, yes, with clear
vestiges of the colonial times, still in that baroque mould, but
artfully made up with images, altar table and the ambo artfully gilded
and faithfully restored.

            I was happy to note that there was no sign of an imposed,
out-of-place innovation made, now sadly common in many other churches
that would seem they were being slowly emptied of their true
character.

            There was a funeral Mass when I went in. What I saw were
ordinary people, simply dressed and without much pretension, and all
showing a piety so palpable and sincere I instantly remembered my past
attendance at Masses in my rural town in Bohol.

            The priest who said the Mass, the friend I was visiting,
delivered a homily that I thought was apt for the kind of faithful in
attendance. It was doctrinal and exhortative, with a little bombast
that I thought the people appreciated.

            Finally, I was able to spend time with my priest-friend.
He happens to be a composer and he played some of his pieces on the
machine. That was when I was deeply struck by something.

            He actually has been giving me some CDs that contained his
compositions. I remember I tried playing one of his songs, but I
immediately turned it off, since my immediate reaction was that it was
out of step with the tenor of today’s world.

            Not so this time when I was with him and in a place like
Argao. I immediately realized that his compositions expressed
precisely what is native in us, what is indigenous to us. The beat,
the melody, the pacing—somehow I knew they are the ones that would
fundamentally characterize us as a people.

            What I thought previously as out of step is actually an
expression of what I consider as our foundational character and
identity as a people. This should never be considered as outdated.
It’s part of our DNA, so to speak. We would always have it.

            It’s nice to realize this, because very often when I would
be in the company of foreigners, like Spaniards, French, Germans, I
would feel some envy because these people are happily proud of their
well-defined cultural, historical and language identity. Many times, I
would not feel as much happily proud of my identity as they are of
theirs.

            Then it was time to go. And just like any ‘original’
Filipino, so hospitable to his guests, he gave me a dozen of the
now-famous Argao “tortas.” Yes, I was deeply touched. And I learned

precious lessons...

No comments: