Monday, June 9, 2014

Back to school

ANOTHER school year opens and I am now again back to
school. It’s just one among many other pastoral assignments given to
me this year. But I welcome this opportunity to be involved in a
school, since the exciting task of forming people is made easier by
the more or less controlled and structured conditions schools have.

            Still I know I have to keep myself strong inside and
outside to tackle all the burden that undeniably is also great, and
even daunting. Just the same, I also know that it also has its sweet
and gratifying moments. It’s not all sweat and blood, my friend.

            As chaplain, I say Mass everyday for everyone
there—students, teachers, staff, some parents and guests. I hear
confessions, conduct recollections, retreats and doctrine classes, and
sit for hours in the confessional for personal spiritual direction.

            These are very delicate tasks but also a very privileged
honor. Not everyone gets the chance to be of help and to make some
crucial impact on the most intimate aspects of the lives of young
people.

            Much of this work is done hidden and in silence, without
fanfare and worldly rewards. But what consoles is the thought that
that’s how things and persons grow. And if I do things well, I know
that together with God’s grace, I would be making a big difference in
the lives of people.

            It’s in these personal chats that I can clarify matters
and issues, give pieces of advice and words of encouragement, sow
reasons for hope and broaden minds and hearts by pointing to our
ultimate common goal while learning how to avoid getting entangled
along the way. My desire is to be able to motivate and inspire people.

            In a sense, I would be walking and journeying with them.
And given current world conditions, the effort is not without
difficulties. Complicated minds and attitudes have taken root in many
people. One really has to be very patient and creative with them,
knowing how to make timely detours, when to stop, when to go, etc.

            The effect of all this task is many times very
heartwarming, as people make welcome changes in their lives. Some
people think miracles do not happen anymore these days. My experience
is different. I see miracles taking place every day, though most of
them do not have external manifestations.

            Among the things I do in school is to give a class on
Christian morality to high school seniors. While I have been giving
classes and talks on this topic, there’s always the challenge of how
to present the same ideas and doctrine especially to young people
whose mental and emotional framework may be a bit, if not, a lot
different from what I’m used to.

            There’s always the need to adapt oneself to his audience.
He needs to be most perceptive of the subtle shifts of mentality that
takes place among people through the years and to attune himself to
those conditions.

            It cannot be denied that giving classes also involves some
skills in performance and theatrics to be able to catch and keep the
attention of the students. Especially when the students are young, the
teacher has to contend with the notorious fickle-mindedness of these
students. But he should not lose sight of the essential things to be
imparted.

            Due preparation is a must in giving classes. A teacher has
to bear in mind that his presence alone should project a certain
wholesomeness that would attract the young students, including the
laziest and the most distracted and inattentive ones.

            He should try his best that he is consistent himself with
what he is teaching. What frustrates students most is when they see
their teachers not living what they are  teaching.

            In this class on Christian morality, I immediately felt
the need to clarify what morality is not. That’s because nowadays,
many people, especially the young, come with very distorted ideas and
biases against the mere mention of morality.

            I had to say that morality is not just about human
sexuality, though a good part is dedicated to it since it is where
many of us have our weakness, if not, our Waterloo. Neither is
morality simply about rules, though rules there also are.

            The challenge is how to make a keen sense of morality an
integral, natural part of one’s thinking, speaking and acting. Sad to
say, with the thick cloud of confusion nowadays, many people have
practically lost this sense, and if they still have it, it is quite
damaged, needing repair.

No comments: