Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Discernment and discretion

AN architect-friend approached me one day to ask if it’s ok to build a modern-designed church to replace a centuries-old one, Baroque in style, that was flattened during the earthquake in Bohol last year.

            I immediately told him his question simply cannot be answered with either a yes or no. A lot of discussion is unavoidable. But if he wanted a quick answer, I told him that he has to get some kind of consensus from the constituents and the approval of the bishop.

            He showed me his design, and I must say that it was good. In fact, it was very beautiful yet simple, the lines very easy and pleasant to the eyes, and yet they still evoke what I call a churchy character.

            I congratulated him for his concept. And when I saw the interior design, I was even more amazed. The suggested images for sure could arouse piety, and the placement of the different elements of the church structure was proper and in order.

            When I asked him about the costing, he assured me that the design has the lowest cost compared to the other alternatives that he was also considering. Still, the whole thing would run to millions. But, he said, many benefactors have already pledged to help.

            So I told him I was for it and promised to pray that his plans get carried out. It made me think a little about how churches should be at these times when even a remote town cannot anymore be unaffected by the world trend of constant flux and dynamism.

            There’s indeed a great need to be discerning and prudent in this very delicate venture. Of utmost importance is that the church structure should try its best to embody the true spirit of religion taken individually and collectively, and also in terms of the culture and history of the people involved.

            As if that is not enough, even more important is for the church structure to somehow be able to convey and exude the transcendent quality of a church. While rooted on the here and now, it has to lead people to eternity, to things spiritual and supernatural.

            In other words, it should not just be an expression of the social and cultural status of the people. It has to have a strong, pervasive atmosphere of prayer and adoration, a place where people would immediately see the value of sacrifice and asceticism, of taking their spiritual life seriously, of making their spiritual life relevant to all other aspects of their lives, etc.

            For sure, a lot depends on the people taking care of the church and running its activities. But insofar as the church structure is concerned, I just hope that first of all, it is so strong as to be earthquake and Yolanda-proof, that it is beautiful and piety-provoking, that while it keeps the traditional judiciously, it is also open to innovations and renovation, etc.

            I remember my reaction when I recently saw the new chapel of the seminary where I had my first assignment in Spain in the 90s. I must confess that I am more at home with Baroque chapels, with gilded retablos. What I saw instead was what I thought at first was a messy artwork that looked like an inverted tree, with the roots up and the foliage down.

            When I asked what the whole thing was all about, I was floored by the explanation. I was told that the theme was the tree of life with roots in heaven and the fruits and leaves on earth. And that’s when I started to see the beauty of it all.

            When I looked at the seminarians, obviously a much younger generation, I could see that they were praying. In fact, the place literally breathed with piety, and I was happy, and made my own adjustments to conform my mind and heart to the spirit of the place.

            We all need to be discerning and discreet in flowing with the times and in coping with the ever-changing circumstances and challenges. We have to be wary when we get stuck to a certain form or way of doing things, confusing the merely incidental with the essential.

            We should be aware that we tend to impose our own tastes and preferences, our own views and biases on others, absolutizing what are merely relative. Let’s be guarded always against this tendency to be bigoted.

            A certain openness of mind is necessary. And also the attitude of consulting, studying, praying, etc., to be prudent and to effectively discern the promptings of the Spirit.


No comments: