Friday, October 15, 2010

True flexibility possible only in God

SINCE I joined Facebook, I felt the need to stretch to the max my flexibility skills. I have to deal with persons from all walks of life—old and young, relatives, friends, students, professionals, those in the A and B as well as in the C and D classes, the refined and the rough, etc. They have their own characters, styles, views, quirks.

Imagine communicating with a wide range of individuals: CEOs, politicians, journalists, priests, seminarians, students from universities and technical schools, close and distant relatives and friends, acquaintances from the province and from abroad!

It actually complicates my life. But I think it’s a complication that’s worth it. The reason I’m there is definitely not just social. It goes way beyond that. But that’s another story. Right now, I just have to sharpen and polish my ability to adapt and to be agile, not allowing myself to be caught in an emotional corner or a spiritual dead-end.

I think my predicament reflects that of many FB users. We have to learn how to be politically correct while at the same time managing to put our messages across as integrally as possible. It’s not easy. Many uncharted waters have to be crossed. I think we just have to take our chances as prudently as possible, knowing gaffes can happen.

I take my inspiration from St. Paul who once said, “I became all things to all men, that I might save all. And I do all things for the gospel’s sake, that I may be made partaker thereof.” (1 Cor 9,21)

Actually the chapter from which that passage was taken gives a vivid description of the nature, purpose and means to achieve this holy flexibility much needed today given the multiplying things, not to mention, kinds of persons, we now have to deal with.

We have to understand that this ability to adapt and to be flexible is more a spiritual power ruled by our reason and will than a bodily capacity ruled mainly by emotions and passions. As spiritual power, flexibility can be properly only nourished by love of God, and because of that love, also by love of neighbor.

But alas, how many people see this connection? Many of us just get contented with political, practical and economic expediency to fuel our ability to be flexible. Without being sourced in God and oriented towards him, this flexibility—while allowing a wide range of possibilities—can only be dangerous.

This worldly-based type of flexibility does not cover the fullness of man’s dignity into consideration. It’s more of the stop-gap kind, whose effect of immediate relief may not exclude the possibility of imprudence.

We need to be most wary of this possibility, since it’s a possibility that is most likely to happen, and in fact is going viral at the moment.

Many people are multi-tasking and are doing all sorts of things, with eyes, ears and mouths engaged in different objects at the same time, with gadgets to facilitate this multiplicity. They end up burned out, sick, destroyed, leaving a trail of damage to family, society and relation with God.

Being with God and living in him is never synonymous with restricting our flexibility. If anything at all, it fosters that ability to adapt in the proper way. We have to realize that there are good and bad kinds of flexibility. And we just have to choose the right one.

Again St. Paul said: “I know both how to be brought low and how to abound, both to be full, and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can all these things in him who strengthens me.” (Phil 4,12-13)

Only in God is the flexibility proper to us possible. It’s the kind that, while engaging in all things and is open to all possibilities, also gives us the impulses for rest, relief and renewal.

Those with faith have tasted the amazing truth of these words of our Lord: “Come to me, all you that labor and are burdened, and I will refresh you.” (Mt 11,28) Saints have given abundant testimonies of the veracity of this promise.

We need to learn the true nature, source, purpose and means of our flexibility. Let’s not dance just to the tune of worldly activism, but rather to that of God’s multi-faceted will, one meant for us, one that is properly ordered and oriented.

We need to anchor our flexibility on God, with a concrete plan of life to make that ideal real.

No comments: